Sunday, September 27, 2009

Oops, missed it.

A break from studies at Flagler College in St. Augustine, Fla.
Splashdown
I shot these pictures with an Olympus STYLUS-550WP camera. It's waterproof to 10 feet. I moved in close when taking the pictures to make sure that I - and the camera - got splashed.
I wanted to capture water flying at the camera, but it didn't work. I'd like to blame it on shutter lag, but maybe I just have terrible reflexes....
Photographer Ken Rockwell would probably tell me I neglected to press the button halfway before trying to get my shot. Yep, I'm guilty of that. And that's the mistake most people make, he wrote in this article.
Shutter lag is the delay between the moment you press the shutter button and when the camera records the picture. It's one of the biggest sources of complaints about point-and-shoot cameras. But in a few years, people probably won't complain about it anymore because camera makers will figure out how to reduce it to nothing, the New York Times says.
Technically, shutter lag is really processor lag, the newspaper says. According to a May 2007 article:
When the photographer begins to push down the button to snap the picture, sensors in the camera begin to take a series of measurements. The processor calculates the distance to the object, determines the amount of light needed and even does some balancing for color and whiteness. The processor may also have special software to focus on faces, so those calculations are run. In effect, the processor is analyzing a series of images as the button descends.
Then the image is captured on the processor and sent into memory. That can take almost as long as one second.
And by then, I've missed my splash and gotten all wet for nothing.

Photo illutration credit: The New York Times
Photoshop made me do it...

No comments:

Post a Comment